Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Tamaki Village

The influence of the Maori's is reawakening here. The youth want to recapture the language but the biggest Maori population is in Rotorua. Families stay together and they have "marketed" their culture into cultural nights. The chief, here on top, is born into the chief role, father to son. The second guy is the warrior in the musical presentation, their voices were spectacular. I wanted to bring them home for American Idol. We also learned from the village historian/carver that they cannot move into their homes until they have the carved history of the family on the eaves of their homes, as seen in the museum.
The historian is one of the most important people in the village. He told us the history of the south pacific islanders as they populated the different islands; they are all related. I asked him where they came from originally and he told me the story "from the bible" how Nephi came from Israel, corrected, the land of Abraham and crossed to the south American area and then migrated to the islands. He said a few times that you can read about Nephi in the bible. He says some people think they are from the Amazon area but they believe they are from farther north in the Mexico/Central america area. I told him that he was telling me the Book of Mormon story...which he did not know. I wish I carried BofM's around with me!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment